Friday 19 April 2013

999 for Parky


I am so embarrassed while on holiday on the Isle of White I ended up having to ring 999.
Better start at the beginning.
While I was on holiday I have been struggling with my medication, because it is a bit of a stressful time my pill popping seems to be a bit off. Yesterday I decided to go for a walk with camera as walking is good for Parkinson’s and concentrating on my photography would relax me.
I set out by myself along the beach, took a few photo’s saw a bench just up from the beach where I sat and made a couple of calls on my mobile and popped it into my pocket. I could see a path which looked to be heading away from the beach so started out only to find it ended in mud trying various other paths I gave up and headed back to the beach. BIG MISTAKE.
I came to a land slide and as it was very difficult to get back I did a stupid thing I decided to try going down it. I ended up to my knees in clay one shoe off and one shoe on, when I tried to reach the one I lost I just got sucked down I knew that if I tried to get myself out I would end further in. I also realised that Parky was just waiting to take control; I was going stiff and found it difficult to use my hands. The one thing that I was more than relieved about was that I had kept my mobile in my pocket and not put it back in my rucksack.
What on earth should I do? I rang a friend’s mobile as I thought she had stayed round the hotel only to find she had gone off on the local bus and was told by my friends that I must dial 999.
So that is what I did and felt a complete prat.
What service did I want? I didn’t know
Where was I? I didn’t know
How long had I been walking? I didn’t know
How far had I come? I didn’t know
In the meantime my friends had rung Norton Grange the Warner’s site that we were staying at and all the staff that weren’t doing anything set out to look for me.
From the time I dialled 999 I had someone on the other end of my mobile phone talking to me and slowly I was able to explain how far I had walked and what had happened. The fact that I have Parkinson’s and been stupid enough get myself into such a predicament.
They probably agreed with me but never said and then told me about all the people that were out looking for me. Too my relief 2 firemen appeared then two more I was lifted out my shoes retrieved and washed off in the sea as was my feet. There appeared another fireman who gave me his coat plus a police woman. I was helped along the beach to a waiting paramedic which was then replaced with an ambulance; fortunately the only thing that hurt was my Pride.
 After the police lady used my camera to take a photo of me with my rescuer’s I was looked over and returned to Norton Grange.
I am so grateful to all the very lovely people that came to my aid from the lady on the phone to Mary who works on the camp who took me under her wing. She took my trousers and washed them got the clay off my coat and also ran me a bath to get me warm.
I have now a very warm spot in my heart for the Isle of White, and also my friends who didn’t rant and rave at me for being so stupid but I know they will eyes like hawks the next time we go away.   

No comments:

Post a Comment